More than 600 United Methodist clergy and church members are bringing church law charges against U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, a fellow United Methodist, over a zero tolerance U.S. immigration policy that includes separating children from parents apprehended for crossing into the U.S. illegally, according to the United Methodist News Service.
A June 18 letter signed by 640 clergy and church members accused Sessions, a Mobile, Alabama church member, of child abuse, immorality, racial discrimination and dissemination of doctrines contrary to the standards of doctrine of the United Methodist Church.
The letter said the charges against him are based on violations of Paragraph 2702.3 of the denomination’s Book of Discipline.
Twelve Alabama clergy and church members signed the letter including:
- Joe Openshaw, Northern Alabama Conference
- Bobby Prince, Northern Alabama Conference
- Beth Ann Higgs, North Alabama Conference
- Lisbeth Ash, Alabama-West Florida Conference
- Rev. Michelle Ozier Wallace, North Alabama Conference
- Rev. Denise Mullaney, North Alabama Conference
- Rev. Dr. Sam Persons Parkes, Alabama-West Florida Conference
- Rev. Paula Champion Jones, North Alabama Conference
- Kimberly Glass, North Alabama Conference
- Jamie Glass, North Alabama Conference
- Alberta Coulter, North Alabama Conference
- Paula Crosby, North Alabama Conference
In the letter, the signees accused him of child abuse in reference to separating children from their parents and holding them in “mass incarceration facilities.” He’s accused of racial discrimination for his alleged attempts to criminalize Black Lives Matter and other racial justice groups and targeted incarceration of those perceived as Muslim or Latinx.
The signees also said his “misuse of Romans 13 to indicate the necessity of obedience to secular law, which is in stark contrast to Disciplinary commitments to supporting freedom of conscience and resistance to unjust laws,” constituted spreading false doctrine.
Posted by Melanie Nathan
My e-mail email@example.com
Support our work at African Human Rights Coalition
Check out my shenanigans on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter – @MelanieNathan1
Check out my Instagram: Commissionermelnathan
Visit my Family Law Mediation site: Private Courts
RESIST TRUMP on FACEBOOK
Ask me to Speak: SPEAKER