By Melanie Nathan.
UPDATED Sunday 27th August, Yesterday turned into a joke and fizzle for Joey Gibson and his fractured less than 5 member group of Patriot Prayer people. However we do have Mr Gibson to thank for being the catalyst who rallied tens of thousands of Bay Area people and San Franciscans against hate. While Joey purported to be a victim of misinformation and lies of the left and Mayor Ed Lee and Leader Nancy Pelosi, San Francisco in deciding to rally against hate, relied on his history of attracting KKK, Nazi supporters and White Supremacists to his rallies. Notwithstanding his newly acquired dicta – “I am all about free speech, and peace and I am not against gay marriage etc blah etc blah….” splashed all over local media, no one believed him. He had adorned his bed with nazis and fascists and that is what he will remain tainted by, forever.
Joey Gibson thought he had gotten the better of San Francisco – however he did us all a favor: We rallied against hate by the tens of thousands, we were ready to march into its face – in PEACE – and we scared him off. We scared him off, not because of his lies that we would bring violence with us, but because he knew he had a mere handful of supporters and that he would look like a fool. That is the truth!
While he used our peaceful resistance as his excuse for cancelling his rally, touting fear of violence, we all know the real reason. He did not attract enough people to his rally. Why? Because even the KKK, Nazis and White Supremacists, bar a handful, had ditched him midstream, based on his new and fractured messaging and his diverse array of ‘bait and switch’ tokenistic speakers. Joey had nothing to offer the nazis anymore. Perhaps those who had followed him did not like his: “I am okay with gay marriage… blah bah…” In truth Joey Gibson is done. His 15 minutes or is it seconds? – Over.
When he was afraid of violence – he lied! He was afraid that no one was showing up to his rally and so he had to pretend he was forced into a press conference instead. What is his platform? Well he has 2 words left to say: “Freedom of Speech.”
Good job Joey – we gave you your permit for free speech and you ran away from it – and if you insist that there would have been violence – then you are not speaking for us peace loving San Franciscans but rather for your own inability to control your henchman! If you still have any left!
UPDATED SAT 26th at 10 am:
Alamo Square has been closed off by police barriers Patriot prayer organizer says he plans to hold an indoor press conference somewhere -and that he plans to pop up in different spots around the City. So the folks at avoidance parties and rallies at Civic Center and elsewhere – such as Castro – you may just have attracted him and his henchmen to you!!
UPDATED SAT 26 9.45:
UPDATED Fri 10 PM:
Counter protesters are keeping plans private for security reasons. If you are interested in joining in / or if you are press and interested in interviews- please contact email@example.com and we will try get back to you.
UPDATED BREAKING NEWS: Friday 3.10 pm
BREAKING NEWS Crissy Field Patriot Prayer just cancelled their rally and its because of the onslaught of peaceful protesters that they knew was coming their way. They said they could not guarantee security. They knew how many of us #resist people and groups were planning to be there! Not because of the dance parties!! Not because of avoidance rallies. #Resisters chased them out !!!!
A so called “Press Conference” will be held by patriot Prayer people at Alamo Square . Weapons are legal. If you show up there – please be aware, alert, and do not go alone. Follow the same security tips as below.
Like me, many thousands of people are planning to protest against the Patriot Prayer Rally, at Crissy Field , San Francisco on Saturday August 26. Here is some information that may be helpful for counter protests:
Sign up for text alerts at https://bayresistance.org
If you are planning to counter protest, please consider forming or joining a group. There are many planning on social media, and if you are unable to find a group to join, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org . I cannot guarantee getting back to you in time, but will try.
Note tell family who may be worried: * CELL SERVICE Cell service will likely be spotty or even unavailable due to the large volume of people. Also, they may cut it off altogether (this happened in Berkeley earlier this year). Please share this information with your loved ones who are not attending so they don’t totally freak out if they can’t reach you.
Here is the MAP of the City near Crissy Field showing the Zones that will be established from Sat morning AUG 26th:
Zone 1 in Red is the area for the Patriot Rally. And the Area with the blue is Zone 2 and is a closed off containment area.
- ZONES FOR CRISSY FIELD PROTESTS:
The Rally run by Patriot Prayer, who we are counter-protesting, will commence at 2.00 pm. People will be arriving early. Road closures actually start at 5.00 am. More information below. Everyone going into the Crissy Field permit area will be searched and screened at entrance to the permitted NPS area.
We are unsure who will be conducting entry searches- could be Federal Park Rangers, or a group hired by the Patriot Rally themselves. Crissy Field will be fenced off for the Rally by the permit holder Patriot Prayer, Joey Gibson- in the lead. He professes to be peace loving and to embrace diversity, yet has attracted KKK and Nazi types to his rallies in the past, where violence has erupted.
All entry to the permitted rally can only happen at one entrance point, called the Marina Gate Checkpoint.
(Updated 8/25) Security is subject to confusion at this point. Here is a leaked e-mail: fro SF Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/leaked-national-park-service-email-says-law-enforcement-guaranteed-crissy-field-saturday-regardless-rally/
I am unsure how counter-protesters are going to be kept separate, if at all. Apparently Joey Gibson is inviting counter protesters into the fences area. I would urge caution.
2. LONG LIST OPF PROHIBITED ITEMS: (this seems to apply to the fenced in area – but not sure if there could be earlier checkpoints.)
Here is the list of banned items at Crissy Field for this Saturday protests/ rally:
Aerosols / pressurized canisters
Animals other than working service animals
Any other items determined to be potential safety hazards
Backpacks and bags exceeding the size restriction of 18” by 13” by 7”
BBQ grills (propane tanks with any open flame)
Drones and other unmanned aircraft systems
Firearms (including licensed concealed carry firearms)
Glass, thermal or metal containers
Liquids (other than water in factory-sealed, clear plastic bottles)
Mace / pepper spray
Pop up tents or canopies
Signs exceeding the size restriction of 24” by 36” (Signs will only be allowed if made of foam core, cardboard or paper)
Supports for signs and placards including sticks of any material
Sticks or bats of any nature composed of any material
Toy or replica guns
Wagons or carts that can be pulled
Weapons of any kind
* CAMERAS: Be warned in particular about cameras that aren’t your phone. At the mayor’s press conference, a reporter asked if they’d be able to bring media cameras in b/c they’ve been snatched up and used as weapons in the past. Media will be allowed to bring them in (special accommodations are being made), but there was no clear answer about non-media so it’s unknown if they will consider cameras weapons and confiscate them. Also, do not take photos of your allies without asking. Fascists use these to dox people and cops to arrest. Mayor’s press conference: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRJjyEbXDVGw
What to BRING:
* NECESSITIES: It’s going to be a long day, so bring food, water (only in factory sealed plastic bottles per regulations), first aid supplies, and whatever else you need for yourself. See list of known prohibited items here: https://www.nps.gov/…/upload/Presdio_Access_Plan_Map_082317…
Phones and small extra battery.
3. INFORMATION ABOUT THE CRISSY FIELD PERMITS and Park Road Closures: HERE
The National Park Service has a long and proud tradition of being the site of peaceful expressions of people’s views under the First Amendment to the US Constitution which guarantees everyone the right to gather together and express their opinions non-violently. We cannot deny a permit to anyone planning to exercise their First Amendment rights based on their political stance or beliefs. We can deny a permit application for public safety reasons if the event raises such significant public safety concerns that law enforcement cannot manage the event.
Today, NPS is approving five First Amendment permits for people to express their views in a non-violent way this weekend in San Francisco: On August 25: “People’s Town Hall Candlelight Vigil” and “People’s Town Hall Press Conference” on Crissy Field; on August 26: “Better Angels San Francisco” and “STOP HATE human banner” on Ocean Beach, and “Patriot Prayer” on Crissy Field.
We urge those planning to attend these events to share their views in a peaceful manner, to look out for each other, and to support law enforcement personnel to keep everyone safe. NPS respects the right to free speech and in turn we expect all participants to respect one another and this beautiful national park.
Planning for Safe and Peaceful Events
Many people have expressed concerns about safety related to the Patriot Prayer event. After consultation with other law enforcement colleagues, including the San Francisco Police Department, National Park Service law enforcement believe that whether a permit is issued or not, many people will come to Crissy Field on August 26 to express their opinions. Law enforcement advised that issuing a permit will increase their ability to ensure public safety. Accordingly, the National Park Service has decided to approve the permit with significant conditions to promote the peaceful, non-violent expression of views.
National Park Service law enforcement personnel from around the country are working together with the San Francisco Police Department to ensure safe events for all participants. In particular, NPS law enforcement personnel are working very closely with the SFPD on the Patriot Prayer event. Any violence will not be tolerated.
Closures in the Presidio on August 26
To ensure public safety, portions of the Presidio and many businesses within the park will be closed to the public on August 26. Visitors to the Presidio are likely to experience traffic, road closures and other large event related impacts. We strongly encourage visitors who will not be attending the Patriot Prayer event to consider coming to the Presidio on another day.
For more detailed information on all the First Amendment permitted events in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area on August 25 and 26, including the Patriot Prayer event permit restrictions and traffic plans, please visit www.nps.gov/goga. Please check back frequently, as we will be adding information throughout the week.
We are grateful for the collaboration of the San Francisco Police Department for their partnership in ensuring everyone’s safety. We also thank all of the local, state and federal public agency partners who have come to our assistance.
We welcome all to express their views by writing us at e-mail us or calling: 415-561-2822.
On Saturday, August 26, several demonstrations are planned to take place in the Presidio, Civic Center and Castro neighborhoods.
For the safety and security of our customers and operators, during the demonstrations, Muni will not service stops in the Presidio or Marina neighborhoods, where the majority of participants will be. Muni routes 22, 28, 30, 43 and 45 will turn back before reaching these areas. The 28 19th Avenue will not serve the Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza and the 76X Marin Headlands Express will not operate all day Saturday. All Cable Car lines will be operated by motorcoach. Muni lines E and F and routes 5, 19 and 21 may also be impacted. After the demonstrations, Muni bus shuttles will be available on Marina Boulevard with service to the Ferry Building.
For customers who are certified ADA paratransit eligible, contact the SF Access Center at (415) 285-6945 for accessible service to these neighborhoods.
Starting at noon, the routes listed below will not serve stops in the Presidio or Marina neighborhoods. Depending on changing conditions, some routes serving Fisherman’s Wharf and Civic Center may also be rerouted. Service will return to normal once the streets are safe and clear.
Temporary Service Changes by Route ROUTE MISSED STOPS 22 Fillmore All stops north of Jackson. 28 19th Avenue All stops north of California. 30 Stockton All stops on and west of Van Ness. 43 Masonic All stops north of Jackson. 45 Union/Stockton All stops west of Van Ness.
Possible Temporary Service Changes by Route ROUTE MISSED STOPS E Embarcadero All stops north of Bay. F Market & Wharves All stops on The Embarcadero.
Market Street stops near Civic Center.
5 Fulton All stops east of Van Ness. 19 Polk Inbound stops on Larkin. 21 Hayes All stops east of Van Ness.
These lines and routes may experience delays due to traffic or crowding:
- J Church
- 8 Bayshore
- 29 Sunset
- 33 Ashbury/18th Street
- 37 Corbett
- 39 Coit Tower
HERE IS INFORMATION FOR CLOSED PARKING LOTS , TRANSIT INFORMATION AND
BUSINESSES IN THE AREA – Through The City of San Francisco Office of Economic and Workforce Development:
The City has no jurisdiction over Crissy Field. Crissy Field is owned and operated by the Federal Government and the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) is responsible for permitting all events.
The Mayor’s number one priority is the safety and well-being of the residents of San Francisco. The San Francisco Police Department is working with the Golden Gate National Recreation Area and the United States Parks Police on a comprehensive public safety plan. As a merchant, you may be impacted by the Crissy Field rally.
Portions of the Presidio will be closed to through traffic, and neighboring corridors may become congested.
Your safety is of the utmost priority to the City. During hours of operation we ask that you:
- Dial 3-1-1 (within SF) or (415)701-2311 for overflowing garbage cans, blocked driveways and loading docks
- Remove and store garbage cans and any exterior furnishings and signs that are not permanently affixed
- Staff accordingly, and inform your staff of potential traffic impacts
- Dial 5-1-1 for information on rerouted bus services
- For police non-emergencies, dial (415)553-0123
- For an emergency, dial 9-1-1
- For all small businesses who have questions regarding the information on this flyer, dial (415)297-0538Rec and Park ParkingThe following parking lots will be closed to the public, limited access will be allowed for scheduled event attendees at St. Francis Yacht Club and licensed berth owners:TIME: Saturday, August 26th From 5AM to 7PM (To Be Determined for Closure End Time)
- At Buchanan Street and Marina Blvd
- At Marina Green Drive and Marina Blvd
- At Scott Street and Marina Blvd
- At Baker Street and Marina BlvdThe Palace of Fine Arts Parking Lot will be closed to the public, limited access will be allowed for scheduled event attendees at Palace of Fine Arts and Theater:
TIME: From 5AM to TBD
- At Marina Blvd and Baker Street
- At Bay Street and Baker Street
- At Lyon Street and Baker Street
- There will be no 76x Bus service going over the Golden Gate Bridge to the Marin Headlands.
- Bus service that typically go to or through the Presidio will stop short of the park, including then29, 28, and the 43
- The 22, 28, 30, 41, 43 and 45 bus will not run into the Marina/Cow Hollow area.
- The 5, 19, 21, 22 bus may be re-routed in the Civic Center area.
- F historic street car lines will be turned around downtown before traveling to Fisherman’sWharf.
- Cable car lines will be run by bus.
- BART will be running as normal.
- Paratransit crews are working with the city to provide service for people who need it over the weekend.
- There will be six two-car trains to add extra capacity in the Subway
PLEASE RE CHECK WEBSITE HERE AS THIS MAY CHANGE:
Ideas for some re transport:
“Though many SFMTA | San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency transit lines are NOT expected to be serving the Crissy Field area of Saturday from 12PM, you can still take transit from the Civic Center/Downtown area by taking Golden Gate Transit to the Richardson & Francisco bus stop, which is less than a 10-minute walk to the Marina Gate check-point.
North Bay approach – may consider approaching via the East Bay/ I -80 Bay Bridge instead of Golden Gate Bride. Or making use of Ferry service.
5. SECURITY: Check the list of items that you cannot bring into area.
Keep groups large and together. Please come with a group of people you trust and keep an eye on one another. Stay with the group. We are safest when we are together. Note that there is no formal security plan in place (aside from what law enforcement does) so be safe and look out for each other.
Come in comfortable clothing and bring everything you might need for the day but nothing unnecessary. Water, snacks, sun screen, and an extra layer are musts.
WE are protesting in PEACE and DO NOT PLAN ON GETTING ARRESTED, but if you have kids, pets, or anything that might need your attention if you were to get arrested, coordinate with someone who is not going to the protest to help if you cannot get home when you originally planned.
Write down the number for the National Lawyer’s Guild, ideally in sharpie on your body somewhere. Call it if you see someone getting arrested or the police behaving badly. The number is 415-285-1011.
ALSO write the number on your body in sharpie of anyone you want contacted in the unlikely event you are hurt.
* YOUR RIGHTS: Know your rights. Here’s one place to start: https://www.aclu.org/…/what-do-if-your-rights-are-violated-…
* BAIL: If you are able, please have folks ready to bail you out in case things go bad and you are wrongfully arrested. Contact the National Lawyers Guild if that happens as they can make the process much easier. (415-285-1011)
6. HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF IN A PROTEST – is well covered HERE .
#CrissyField #Protest Thanks to all the wonderful #RESIST Angels who are working so hard to pull together for a safe and peaceful robust counter protest at Crissy Field. Your commitment to resistance shines through your courage and resolve to fight hate. #Peace #RESIST #NOHATE
- Keep your eye open for updates:
UPDATES THANK GWEN PARK
* SAFETY TRAINING: I attended a safety training and shared my notes. Most are not likely for Saturday, but good to be prepared. I haven’t yet combined all the relevant bits from my notes with this status yet, but you can find the notes here: https://www.facebook.com/gwenniecakes/posts/10159199575260335
* GETTING HOME: Getting home is one of the most dangerous times. DO NOT GO HOME ALONE. If you can, go home in a group rather than a pair and make sure everyone in your group gets home safe. Plan multiple ways to get home in case your first option is inaccessible.
* STREET CLOSURES, PARKING AND PUBLIC: Lots of streets, parking, and public transit will be closed. Allow extra travel time. More here:
* SHUTTLES: MUNI will provide shuttle from Marina Blvd to Ferry Building after the event: https://www.sfmta.com/…/traffic-and-transit-plan-saturday-d…
#RESIST TRUMP FACEBOOK PAGE HERE
To find out about Friday Night Anti-Hate Light Vigil CLICK HERE.
We will keep updating,
Contact: Mel Nathan