By Melanie Nathan, August 23, 2013.
In an atmosphere of LGBTI oppression and calls for the removal of the Winter Olympics from Sochi, Russia because of recent anti-gay laws, an ABC News reporter is tweeting that Russian President Vladimir Putin has banned all meetings, protests and demonstrations during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
ABC’s Kirit Radia and other LGBT activists have been tweeting today from Moscow that a new decree issued by Putin, and published in Moscow today, seems to restrict all free speech rights in Sochi, Russia during the Winter Olympic games next February.
What is being reported is a decree similar to that of an executive order, and seems to retract the assurances from the International Olympic Committee that the Sochi Games are safe for athletes, guests and media.
Section 7 of the Order of the Russian Federation by Vladimir Putin dated, seems vague and cold be widely interpreted. However it does ban gatherings not connected to the Olympic Games for a specific period of time from January 2014 through March. It suggests that those gatherings could be held at a different period of time.
This may be seen to deter Anti-propaganda law protests that may occur by Russian Nationals and visitors alike during that period of time. So the IOC is at great risk for ensuring safety if people think they can safely protest in Russia during the Olympics.
A Russian LGBTI national who goes by the name Goldfinch and is currently living in the United States of America told me: “What Valdimir Putin should realize is that his laws terrify me as a gay person. Sometimes I ask myself if I a living in George Orwell’s 1984. I feel afraid to go back to Russia because of it. Now it seems that Putin wants to ensure that people cannot speak out when they visit during the games.”
If in fact this is correct, It is time to enhance calls to move the Winter Olympics out of SOCHI.
This shows the defiance of Putin and that it will be unsafe for any visitor to travel to Russia unless they want to subject themselves to the so called enhanced security rules. Surely Olympics are about congregating in crowds. How can anyone be guaranteed safety from detention during the games.
This is new information and very disturbing.
Based on this new order, we must bring added pressure now to move the Sochi Winter Olympic games.
I am not sure if this site and following it a translation is the order to which the ABC reporter refers, where I do not see the specific ban, but do note the onerous terms.
Here is a GOOGLE translation of rules which I do not purport to understand and can only imagine that as a tourist or visitor attending the games may seem difficult to understand:
In order to implement enhanced security measures during the XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi, under Part 1 of Article 10 of the Federal Law of December 1, 2007 N 310-FZ “On the organization and holding of the XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi, the Development of Sochi as a mountain resort and Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation, “the decree:
1. Approve the attached:
a) A list of controlled areas;
b) a description of the restricted border zone.
2. Determine that:
a) controlled areas are established for the organization of authorized access to their persons and vehicles;
b) access of individuals and vehicles in controlled areas is carried out after the police inspection of individuals and their belongings, vehicles and transported for them things (including the use of technical means);
c) exclusion zone is set to prevent access to its citizens and vehicles without service or operational needs;
g) the boundaries of controlled areas and exclusion zones marked on the ground (in the territory, buildings, structures, objects) are well visible signs, labels, and are equipped with engineering and (or) technical means of protection.
3. Deny from January 7 to March 21, 2014 to enter the territory and movement on the territory of the municipality of Sochi vehicles, except:
a) railway vehicles;
b) vehicles registered in the municipality of Sochi;
a) vehicles of emergency services;
d) vehicles with the accreditation certificate as provided in paragraph 5 of this Ordinance.
a) drive through the checkpoint of the border of the Russian Federation Adler (Krasnodar Territory) vehicles, categories of which (including with regard to their state registration), as well as the time for which this restriction is introduced, defined by the operations staff to ensure safety during XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi (hereinafter – the operational headquarters);
b) the movement of vehicles on the roads and a special lane highways, road signs and traffic regulations specific markings, administered at the time of the XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi (hereinafter – the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games ), except for vehicles of emergency services, vehicles will be allowed to enter vehicles in the facilities used for the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, and (or) the parking of vehicles in these areas.
5. Accreditation certificates for vehicles intended for the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, as well as vehicles used for life support Sochi, issued an autonomous non-profit organization “Transport Directorate of the Olympic Games,” in consultation with the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation and the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation.
6. Set the permissions on the entry of vehicles in the facilities used for the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, and (or) the parking of vehicles in these areas are issued by independent non-profit organization “The Organizing Committee of the XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi “(hereinafter – the Organizing Committee) to owners of vehicles with the accreditation certificate as provided in paragraph 5 of this Ordinance.
7. To establish that the territory and waters within which introduces increased security measures, meetings, rallies, demonstrations, marches and pickets that are not associated with the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, and planned for the period from January 7 to March 21, 2014 are carried out in that period of time.
8. Deny from January 7 to March 21, 2014 in the territory and waters within which introduced enhanced security measures:
a) the sale of arms, ammunition (bullets) and special funds, the armament state military organizations (hereinafter – special funds);
b) the sale of explosives and materials for industrial use and products containing them;
c) the sale of toxic substances in the list of toxic substances for the purposes of Article 234 and other articles of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation, approved by the Government of the Russian Federation of December 29, 2007 N 964, except insofar as such substances are part of the drug registered in the territory of the Russian Federation in accordance with established procedure.
9. To establish that the period of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games:
a) located in the municipality of Sochi objects of industrial, social, cultural, sporting and household purpose, plots, designed to contain these objects, and other territories in respect of which requires the implementation of special measures for their anti-terrorism protection, subject to enhanced protection in the manner prescribed in the period of preparation for the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games;
b) the admission of visitors to the non-sporting events with events held at the Olympic sports facilities is carried out at registration cards, issued in the manner prescribed for the participants and spectators of sports events.
10. Operational headquarters:
a) determine the order of the access of people and vehicles in controlled areas and no-go zone, as well as the entry into the territory of the municipality of Sochi and its traffic vehicles are not subject to the prohibitions and limitations provided for in paragraphs 3 and 4 of this Ordinance ;
b) to determine the list of prohibited and restricted to authorized pronose (to transportation) in the controlled area and the restricted area;
c) establish rules for certain types of activities in controlled areas and restricted area;
d) to organize the protection of these areas;
d) identify the categories of vehicles (including with regard to their state registration), as well as the time for which is a restriction under subparagraph “a” of paragraph 4 of this Ordinance.
11. The Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation in coordination with the operational headquarters set from January 7 to March 21, 2014:
a) the exclusion zone and restrictions in the airspace over the territory and water area within which introduces increased security measures, and to identify cases of use of the airspace in these areas, in which introduced restrictions do not apply;
b) forbidden to swim in the waters of areas within which introduces increased security measures and the rules for such areas, and to identify cases in which in said zones imposed restrictions do not apply.
12. The Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation for the period of the introduction of enhanced security measures:
a) ensure, within its competence enhanced mode of stay of athletes, sports facilities, and to address the operational staff, facilities and other areas;
b) to organize the ad hoc inspections of legal entities engaged in the sale of weapons, ammunition (bullets) and special funds for compliance with the provisions under sub-paragraph “a” of paragraph 8 of this Decree;
c) provide for the seizure and acceptance in custody until March 20, 2014 weapons, ammunition (bullets) and special equipment relevant territorial bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation in the case of detection of the sale of weapons, ammunition (bullets) and special funds;
g) Ensure that since March 21, 2014 and received by return of the seized for safekeeping of weapons, ammunition (bullets) and special funds to their owners with no reason preventing such refund in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation.
13. Federal Migration Service to determine the features of registration permits for employment of foreign nationals and stateless persons on the territory of the municipality of Sochi between the organization and holding of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
14. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation to inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Abkhazia on the restrictions imposed under paragraph 4 of this Ordinance.
15. Federal Road Agency, the Krasnodar Territory and the municipal administration of the city of Sochi in coordination with the Ministry of Transport of the Russian Federation to provide timely information to road users about the time constraints of movement of vehicles on the roads, possible detour routes and places for parking of vehicles by arrangement Information road signs, reports in the media and information and telecommunications network “Internet” in accordance with the laws of the Russian Federation.
16. Administration of Krasnodar Region to organize within the territory within which introduces increased security measures, legal persons (medical, pharmacy organizations and wholesale trade of medicines), engaged in the provision of medicines under license for activity on trafficking in narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and their Precursors cultivation of narcotic plants and providing medical assistance to the population with the use of medicines containing narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances or harsh on the basis of a license for medical activities, measures to ensure the adequate supply of medicines for the smooth functioning of these organizations.
17. Autonomous non-profit organization “Olympic Games Transport Directorate”:
a) to determine in consultation with the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation and the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation and the procedure for issuing the form of accreditation certificates for vehicles designed for life support of Sochi and the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, as well as in consultation with the municipality resort city of Sochi and the Organising Committee – a list of individuals and entities, vehicles that are eligible for accreditation certificates;
b) to issue accreditation certificates;
c) ensure that a unified database of issued certificates of accreditation.
18. Organising Committee:
a) to determine in consultation with the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation and the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation and the procedure for issuing authorizations for the entry of vehicles in the facilities used for the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, and (or) the parking of vehicles in these areas ;
b) to issue permits;
c) ensure that a uniform database of permits.
19. Government of the Russian Federation, Krasnodar Territory Administration to arrange for temporary parking of vehicles for the period of the ban on the entry and movement of vehicles specified in paragraph 3 of this Decree, as well as the movement of public transport in the areas of finding these sites.
20. This Decree shall enter into force on the day of its official publication.
Russian President Vladimir Putin
The list of controlled zones
1. The area around the perimeter of the Olympic Park and the Olympic sports facilities provided for in paragraphs 8 – 19, 26, 113, 175 (except for the areas of hotel complexes and apartment hotels), 177 (in respect of the auxiliary media center) and 206 Program of Olympic Venues and Development of Sochi as a mountain resort, approved by the Government of the Russian Federation
from December 29, 2007 N 991 (hereinafter – the Program).
2. The area of the main distribution center independent non-profit organization “The Organizing Committee of the XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi” (Krasnodar, Sochi, Adler district, Veseloye Village).
3. The area of technical service station and train park trains sludge “Desiree” on the service station Imereti resort and other motorized train depot “Desire” at the station Adler.
4. Territory on the perimeters of stationary engineering and technical security of Olympic sports facilities provided for in paragraphs 2 – 6  Program.
5. The passenger terminal of Olympic facilities provided for in paragraphs 55 – 57, 62, 65 Software (except passenger terminals railway station Dagomis).
6. Territory specially equipped checkpoints for examination of individuals with the objects in their belongings at stations Sochi, Macesta, Hosta, Adler, the Olympic Village, Olympic Park, Esto-Sadok and Krasnaya Polyana.
7. Territory specially equipped checkpoints for examination of individuals with the objects in their things on the roads and in the landing sites of participants and guests of the XXII Olympic Winter Games and XI Paralympic Winter Games of 2014 in Sochi, the following road, at the entrance in the Olympic Park in transport hubs Adler, Esto-Sadok and lower stations passenger ropeway leading to the Olympic sports facilities provided in paragraphs 2-5 of the Program.
Description of the boundaries of the restricted area
The boundaries of the restricted area pass, from the state border of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Abkhazia Mzimta to the mouth of the river, with the exception of the village Nizhneimeretinskaya Bay, road Dzhugba – Sochi (M-27), Mzymta settlements High, Akhshtyr, Monastery, Ridge Aibka, Tracts Pear Glade, Psluh cordon, the cordon Psluh further to the north-west down the river Mzimta except ridge Psekhako and towns Esto-Sadok, Krasnaya Polyana, Chvizhepse, Medoveevka, Kepsha, Monastery, on the north-west to the mountains Semyonov Spire, except settlements Vorontsovka, Semyonovka; further along the ridge to the confluence of Alec Sochi and Agua, further up the river to Mount Agua grassy spire, with the exception of the tract Verhneorehovo, including the tract Budinok Aul; further upstream rivers Big Nun , Bzogu to the confluence of the Shah and Bzych except Tracts Fifth Company, the Community Bzogu, Tracts Bzych, further up the river to the confluence of Bzych Birch and white, except for the mountains Big Chura, further up the river to the River Birch Achipse , on the left bank of the river Achipse downstream to the Laura River, including Lake Khmelevskoye, 2nd cordon Achipse, tract Battalion, on the left bank of the river Laura upstream to the river Urushten, including the ridge left Pseashkho, on the left bank of the river Urushten downstream to the river Urushten (Black), including a small lake, the camp Cold, Old Urushten camp, on the left bank of the river Urushten (Black) downstream to the Malaya Laba, except for the shaggy mountains, ridges Dead Rock, Red Rock , cordons Chernorechie, Third Roth; further from the Malaya Laba in the south-west upstream to the river Tsakhvoa; Tsakhvoa further from the river to the south-east upstream to the river Juha, Juha further from the river upstream to the mountains Damkhurts; further south along the border of the Republic of Karachay-Cherkessia to the state border of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Abkhazia.
7 thoughts on “Putin bans meetings and protests during Sochi Winter Olympics”
Immediately move ALL Olympic and international events OUT of the Soviet Union and make sure no events on an international scale are ever held in this Soviet, dictatorial gulag/country again!!
Leave Russia alone Melanie 🙂 You have no tools to understand anything about it, even if you ever go there to see with your own eyes, because it’s a country with over thousand years of history and culture. Only Christianity is over 1000 years old in Russia, not talking about earlier pagan times. This is the country with heritage and tradition of inheritance. Most museums in Russia are older than whole USA. There are churches that are two+ times older than the country we both live in now, and this is despite the weather and wars that wiped out half of the country. Our kids learn in school what your kids only learn in the University. I understand why people like you cannot digest such huge piece of history and culture, but this is why it all looks so funny to Russians. You remind me little yorkie barking at the elephant, there is a story about it in Russian literature – our kids read it in elementary school. Forget about it Melanie, not in your lifetime 🙂
This Yorkie fears no elephant. LOL . You know nothing about me or about what i know – where I come from, my studies my culture – nothing. Assumptions eish! There is your clue! Instead of attacking me the messenger, why not attack the persecutors? I am not the only one doing this. Go check out the other LGBT bloggers and the mainstream press. You are spending way too much of your time on me. There are others involved in this too you know.LOL
Oh, I am so impressed that I may even have a miscarriage reading your replies 🙂 🙂 🙂 So now you want Russian Orthodox Church to apologize, start marrying gay couples or move to another neighborhood after 50+ years on cross 15th and CHURCH street 🙂 🙂 🙂 Only gay activist could come up with such creative ideas 🙂 🙂 🙂
That is not what I said . But okay why not?
I have blogged several articles on http://stories4hotloodedlesbians.com that give a list of all the Psychiatric Associations and Psychologist Colleges that state homosexuality is NOT a disease, a disorder, a perversion – and it is NOT reversable by therapy, meaning that a person is born a homosexual. I am attempting to blog this in every language. Please help by coming to my site, making a copy, and using it to spread light into the darkness of ignorance and bigotry. All Associations and Colleges (world wide) have links to them, and I have quoted their statements. Thanks, Paula