This marginalization of the impetus of his actions infuriated me – and I noted that he has yet to apologize to the LGBTI community and all those whose lives he so dramatically harmed. My Article showing his speech in part and criticizing him further can be read here – Ugandan Hang the Gays Giles Muhame Admits Wrong and Regret
That said, I am extremely saddened that he would have been invited by Alan Geere and the University of Victoria, Kampala, to give a speech at the University to Journalist student-and expressed my anger in this letter below directed at the Chancellor of the university:
Dr. David Young
Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Acting Vice-Chancellor
University of Victoria
Recently Alan Greene (corrected to Alan Geere) from the Journalism Department at Victoria University invited one of the world’s most unethical and disrespected ” journalists” to lecture at your University.
Giles Muhame admitted in his opening lines to your students to indiscretions where he in fact in his work as a “ Journalist” caused horrific harm to hundred of LGBTI Ugandans and possibly ( well documented) events leading up to the murder of renowned gay activist David Kato. in fact he was indicted, had to pay a fine and a restraint was placed upon the publication after the damage had been done.
Giles Muhame has called for the death and public lynching of gays and lesbians in his Rolling Stone Tabloid; and your University has provided its endorsement through its unconscionable invitation. Mr. Muhame’s self serving and disrespectful speech can be seen here:-
What the world thinks of Muhame is summed up by U.S. Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey, in her letter to Secretary of State Hilary Clinton where she asked for the denial of a U.S. Visa to Muhame, inter alia, as follows:: “Under Mr. Muhame’s editorship, Rolling Stone incited violence and murder against non-heterosexuals; calling for the public lynching of hundred of LGBT Ugandans, by publishing their names and faces, next to a hang man’s noose, saying “hang them. This hate filled man has fanned the flames with violence and intolerance, and is both a danger and a disgrace.”- See the letter at http://oblogdeeoblogda.me/2012/07/11/congresswoman-requests-secretary-clinton-to-deny-us-entry-to-giles-muhame/
We note you tout your University’s international standing. Unfortunately this invitation has brought your University into International disrepute.
We are demanding an apology by Mr. Geere and your University to the LGBTI and professional journalism community for this invitation, failing which we plan to start an online Petition to disrupt funding and International recognition accorded your institution.
The speech given to your students has been used by Muhame in his capacity as Managing Director of Chimpreport, the online publication that followed his failed Tabloid, Rolling Stone, to gain popularity for his publication. He has used this event to shamelessly promote himself and your Institution and its Journalism department has been dragged into disrepute as a result.
Nothing Muhame says or does can restore him to journalistic integrity until such time as he apologizes publicly to the 100 gays he outed, the entire community and makes some form of reparation to David Kato’s mother and Ugandans who had to flee Uganda as a result of the publication.
I look forward to your public statement or a letter which I would be willing to publish indicating your regret.
Thanking you for your kind attention to this disturbing matter.
Mediation, Human Rights Advocacy
San Francisco, CA, USA.
cc. State Department United States of America, Uganda desk
Edulink Holdings Ltd, Chairman.
Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey, U.S.A.
Mr. Frank Mugisha, SMUG
5,000 Friends on Facebook
Editor, The Advocate Magazine
University of Buckingham, Chancellor
- Uganda Gay LGBT Groups Vehemently Condemn the Anonymous Hack of Ugandan Government Sites (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Watch Ugandan Gay Activist Frank Mugisha Debate Gay- Hating Evangelical Scott Lively (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Anonymous Hacks Ugandan Government in Support of Gay Pride but Uses Harmful Photo (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Ugandan Gay Pride a Great Success (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Uganda Free David Cecil Now | Censorship Prevails through Arrest of British Producer (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Ugandan Police Raid Beach Pride Party Arrest LGBT Acitvists (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- My Tweet Conversation with Anonymous About Hacking Uganda Government for Gays (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Celibate Ugandan Minister of Ethics Simon Lokodo Attempts to Justify Gay Arrests (oblogdeeoblogda.me)
- Hackers Attack Ugandan Government Websites to Protest Homophobia (advocate.com)
- Video Sexual Abuse of Girls Ignored while Ugandan Government Attacks Gays Instead of Heterosexual Pedophiles (oblogdeeoblogda.me)